Tuesday 16 August 2011

Patent pending!!

Well, I have been writing a very shortened version of what has been happening over the last few months, I only came up with this idea in March and now it's August, so really 6 months condensed into a mini blog!

A lot of my time has been spent doing research, having meetings with different companies and playing with my prototype. It has occupied my thoughts whilst awake and also whilst sleeping, it has been my baby and I have been so very protective of it and still am.

Well, where am I at this week. 2 weeks ago I received the first draft of my patent application. On first read it may have well been written in Klingon as I didn't understand a word of it. However after several reads it did start to make sense although I did have some questions about it. having chosen a patent lawyer so close to home, it was great to be able to pop round the corner to see him and have him explain things face to face and draw concepts on paper to help understand things more.

A few minor changes were made and another draft sent to me to check. I was glad there were only a couple of minor adjustments out of a 12 page document. My patent lawyer had a complete grasp of my idea and this was an added bonus to be working with someone who understood where I was coming from.

So, last week I finally had my patent filed!! I have a filing date and an application number which means my idea is classed as patent pending! I now need to play the waiting game to see what will happen with the patent office. I have had my expectations set and it really could go either way.

I have a lot more work to get done over the coming months,My main focus is to see some potentail buyers.

So, I find myself in a position to tell people what my idea is but I still worry about being laughed at, and I still feel very protective towards my idea which I understand so many other inventors do.

I have a few other milestones I want to reach over the next few weeks and I think then I will be able to comfortably tell all about it!

I feel I owe my readers of this blog a tiny hint, so for now I would love you all to answer the following 2 questions for me. Just leave your answers as a comment.

What is the best thing about doing a barbecue?
What is the worst thing about doing a barbecue?

Thanks very much for reading and for your answers.

















3 comments:

  1. Please leave your answers to the questions here!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best thing is just the fact that it's a barbeque!
    Worst things? Can't predict the whether/ don't know if the food's ready yet/ you get loads of smoke in your face/ you stink of BBQ afterwards/ all the cleaning up - so many things you could try to fix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! Now I know who you are! We met at the Forum (I sat next to you at Sharon's talk). So sorry I didn't get to hear the rest of your story (if only I hadn't wasted time being flippant), but I already know more than your other readers ;-). It's a great idea, and you deserve to be proud. Reading your story prompts a dozen questions, so if it's alright with you I'd like to get in touch. Tweet @TheBlackShuck and let's exchange experiences!

    ReplyDelete