Sunday 6 November 2011

Losing momentum

Well, it has been a couple of months since I last updated this blog, I hoped to have had more to share with  you over this period of time but as the title suggests, I lost a bit of momentum!
My last entry hinted that it was a BBQ related product which indeed it is.

From the birth of my idea, I had been working so hard doing research, working on the prototype and gearing up for sorting the patent that when it got to the point when these items had been ticked off, I wasn't 100% sure what to do next. The things I knew I had to do, again I had no idea how to go about doing them and I began losing momentum.

So, I had a patent pending, a fantastic working prototype, costings for production, however I didn't know what anyone in the BBQ business actually thought of it. I wanted to see a buyer but was not sure my prototype looked professional enough, however if I spent money having one made would it be worth it if a buyer thought it was rubbish?

I have discovered that often the best ideas and plans come along when you least expect them too and this was true of my next step.
I was sitting in the pub with 2 very trusted friends of mine. We were discussing my invention and I was keen to hear their thoughts. They suggested I contacted a local DIY chain and arrange to speak with their buyer. It would be a great practice meeting and a great opportunity to get the opinion of someone in the business.

So, that's what I did next. On calling, the guy I spoke with was very busy and said I could see him in 3 months time, not for a buying meeting, but to give his opinion. Following a charm offensive, I arranged to see him the following week!

I had never met a buyer before and was not sure what to expect, however as it was not a buying meeting it took the pressure off. The meeting went on for twice as long as planned and the buyer gave their honest opinion on the product. He suggested a selling price which fell in line with others opinions and my manufacturing costs. He was so helpful and offered to speak to me again if I needed any further help.
I left the meeting feeling positive, I hadn't been laughed at, quite the opposite and felt I was still heading in the right direction. When I got home I realised I had been wearing my top inside out through the meeting, whoops, hope he didn't notice!

So, what to do next? Despite the meeting with the buyer, I still didn't know what to do next. I did not have the money to do anything else so decided to apply for a grant and some help and advice with the project.

I will let you know how the grant application went soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment